Sunday, November 1, 2009

Remind Yourself That It's OK Not To Be Perfect...


According to my Dove chocolate wrapper, improvisation is just fine. Good to know considering this is another recipe that probably turned out much differently than intended. Pictured above is MY take on Peaches Stuffed with Amaretti Cookies. This is my third recipe from "Everyday Dolci" and the "Everyday Fruit" section.

The first part of the recipe is making some whipped cream. As I went to reach for my whipping cream, I saw that it went bad around mid-October, so I opted for my dessert without the whipped topping.

Next problem: certain produce is not available year-round. Peaches included. Therefore, the frozen food industry came to my rescue once again. I used frozen peaches but, of course, they don't come as whole fruits. They're sliced, so I sort of had to form the slices of peaches into a faux-peach half. This wasn't too big of a deal until I attempted to transfer them to a plate. More on that later.

Next problem: amaretti cookies aren't exactly all that common in all stores. Therefore, my mother was crafty and found these 100 calorie packs of Stella D'oro breakfast cookies. They may not have the same almond taste, but they did the job just fine.

All right. So I started this recipe by first crushing up my cookies after preheating the toaster oven. The recipe said to use a food processor, but I really didn't feel like using my chopper. The piercing sound of it just didn't seem like a great idea today. Instead, I broke the cookies up by hand and crushed them into crumbs. They were surprisingly fragile for such hard cookies.

I then measured out about 1 1/2 cups of the now thawed peaches (after getting into a wrestling match with the bag that refused to open) and arranged them onto the baking sheet. I spooned the crumbs on top of the peaches (in the recipe, you're supposed to heap them into the hollowed center of the peach. This would have been a MUCH easier task), dabbed a bit of butter on top of each heap, and sprinkled some sugar on top. Then into the toaster oven they went for about 25 minutes.

Once the peaches were done, I used a spatula to transfer them to a plate. They didn't really stay together too well and the crumbs kind of went all over the place. Had I put a full-blown pat of butter on top of each, I may not have had this issue, but the extra points really weren't worth it to me.

Despite my many alterations to the recipe, the dessert was delicious. The cookies toasted up and actually took on a nuttier flavor and the natural sugars of the peaches caramelized them and made them sweeter. I think my version of these would have been even better over some good vanilla bean ice cream, but I didn't have any and, again, didn't feel like using the WW points.

This marks my third full cycle through Everyday Italian! I've made soo many good recipes and I'm always looking ahead to see what's in store next :) Only about 22 more cycles to go! Check back on Thursday when I start from Chapter One once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment