Monday, September 24, 2012

Cliffhanger

Have I kept you waiting long enough yet to hear about the end of our trip? Yeah I probably have.

I left off our story after grabbing some dinner with Rae. Delicious french fry-filled dinner. Our initial plan after that was to go to Providence, but we changed our minds after looking at the map. We would've driven an hour to get down there, and then would've had to come back exactly the same way to get home, so it wasn't really "on the way." Instead, we drove half that amount of time the the T station in Alewife, and spent the day in Boston.

So I've been to Boston four times now, and I've seen a different part of it each time. And it's always awesome. This time around we explored Newbury St. (an area I surprisingly haven't visited before).

Ignore the construction cones...

Sooooo nice! There were many stores that I only dream of being able to afford, but there was a Newbury Comics as well as bookstores and other places where I didn't feel too intimidated to venture in. I did go out on a limb to try a good olive oil place where it was over $20 for an 8 oz. (that olive oil better be magic if I'm going to spend that much. Maybe that's not really that much. But I live in NYC and any food in that amount over $20 is ridiculous to me) I decided I would try their Basil Olive Oil just to see what was in store. I tasted as the employee explained the flavor of it to me, and then began coughing almost uncontrollably as the oil hit my throat (Buffalo friends: think about the time a spice randomly exploded in my mouth, but I was in public and couldn't freak out). She THEN decided to add in that there were some "peppery notes" in the oil, which was what I was currently experiencing. I'm guessing she knew I wasn't going to buy anything and wanted to get some entertainment out of me.

We ate lunch at Boloco, which is known for their "inspired burritos." Most of the kinds they have there aren't your traditional burritos, unless you go for a make your own (and maybe they had a normal one?), but my attention went directly to the tikka masala burrito. If you like Indian food and haven't had tikka masala, you should probably try it right now.

As we were ordering we noticed they had nutella milkshakes. I haven't had a milkshake in years since I always try to eat my calories rather than drink them, but how can you not be intrigued by this?



We got one after we ate our food. I couldn't say no after someone on Foursquare claimed the milkshake took them to another world of delicious...er, something like that. Soooo worth it.

After completing our loop around Newbury St., we hopped back on the T to go into Cambridge since it was on our way back to the car. It had been a few hours since the burrito and milkshake situation, so we went to (what I think is) one of Ryan's favorite places: Cambridge Brewing Company. I had the best pumpkin ale I've ever had, and Ryan tried this sour ale that was brewed with cherries (like, seriously mouth-puckering sour...but super good!) and their porter. This place brews a mean beer. Their food was also great. I had fish and chips and it was served to me on faux newspaper.

We spent one more night in the same hotel in Massachusetts, then drove back to Albany on Friday. Then Ryan picked up his copy of Borderlands 2, asked me to play it with him, and now I'm considering buying it myself. It's not anything like the games I usually play (which would be crazy adorable games like Little Big Planet and Katamari or something like the Sims), and by the end of the day (because we played for HOURS), I could almost say I was satisfactory at it. Basically my character was no longer running in circles wasting ammo.

I went back to the city on Saturday to give myself a buffer day before work started up again, and was greeted by a kitty who was very happy to see me.



He was treated to a meal of Fancy feast yesterday, and he actually picked up one of the turkey chunks with his claw and ate it off his paw. He's a smart lil guy.

And now, I'm back to eating at home, which is probably a good thing since I need to detox a bit from vacation food. And though I still write about food in here a lot, I haven't been experimenting all that much and tend to be writing more about my life...so I think a blog name change is in order. Thoughts? Suggestions? Feelings?

That's all I've got for now. Perhaps I'll find the motivation for another update later in the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment