Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Welcome!

I'll put it out there from the start: this blog was most definitely inspired by the movie Julie & Julia and Julie Powell's Julie/Julia Project blog. After seeing the movie, it seemed like a great idea (especially for a food lover and cook like myself). It combines two things I love to do: eat and write. Many people think you're not a "writer" unless you're published, well what better way to be published than to make your writing readily available on the Internet?

For those that are unfamiliar with the Julie/Julia Project, allow me to explain. Julie Powell began it back in 2002 as a challenge. She cooked all 536 recipes from Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" within a year and blogged about her experience. The movie Julie & Julia is a parallel between Julia Child's time in Paris, and Julie Powell's cooking project. I highly recommend it!

My plan is to tackle a cookbook in a little over a year. I haven't given myself an exact deadline since I do have other more important obligations such as school, field hockey, and other extracurriculars. Therefore, I'm hoping to complete at least two recipes per week.

What is my cookbook of choice? Easy. My mission is to go through each recipe in Giada DiLaurentiis' "Everyday Italian" in a little over a year. It contains 125 recipes which should take about 63 weeks if I keep up with doing two per week. I watched Giada's "Chefography" on the Food Network last night (I should probably mention that I'm obsessed with the Food Network) and loved the story of how she worked her way to where she is now. She is the Julia to my Julie!

I will begin this project once I am in my permanent dorm and have access to the kitchen there. I will blog about my experience with each recipe and everything that went into making the food. Who knows where the mission will take me, but hopefully I will be successful, and have the opportunity to bring new food into my life as well as my roommates' :)

4 comments:

  1. Neat! Can you make this like a fruit-of-the-month club and send samples to all of your subscribers? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to do that, but my tight college funds won't allow. But maybe just maybe I could send you some brownies or cookies if you can receive them in France!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes and mange!!

    ReplyDelete