Sunday, January 3, 2010

And Now For Something Completely Different...


Let's start with a quote, shall we?

"You know what I love about cooking? I love that after a day when nothing is sure and when I say nothing, I mean nothing, you can come home and absolutely know that if you add egg yolks to chocolate and sugar and milk, it will get thick. That's such a comfort." Julie & Julia

True, seeing as it is now winter break, I did not have a rough day where "nothing is sure." I think the most I accomplished today was some cardio kickboxing and shelf assembly. And with today's recipe, I did not know what to expect at all, so I didn't "absolutely know" anything. However, I did watch Julie & Julia recently, since I got it for Christmas, and I picked out that quote because it is completely true.

I apologize for taking a week to post again, but you know how the holidays are. Filled with tons of food that probably isn't good for you (especially if you go on the Christmas cookie and candy diet...) and adding in some big Italian dishes here and there really wasn't a possibility.

I'm back to the "Everyday Antipasti" chapter of Everyday Italian and in a new section, "Everyday Frittatas." There's only two in the section (which is fortunate so I more than likely won't have to make one at school), the first being Frittata with Potato and Proscuitto.

I started off by cooking a small, chopped onion over medium-heat in our big, huge frying pan (another luxury of home). After about four minutes, I added some potato, garlic, salt and pepper. My luck with potatoes has not increased much. Think back to my potato and vegetable casserole. Yes, raw potatoes. My potatoes in my frittata did not end up completely raw since they were almost all uniformly cut, but there were a few big ones that got away and were a bit crunchy in the middle. You live and you learn.

As that cooked, I preheated the broiler and made the egg mixture. This require six eggs, but for me it required seven. As I transferred the eggs from fridge to counter in two trips, one managed to roll on the floor. That actually sounds much too nice, as if it gently moseyed on down the sides of the cabinets and found its final resting place on the kitchen floor. It crashed on the floor. For those who have ever broken an egg on a kitchen floor, you understand that this is no easy task to clean up. Luckily my mother helped me out by covering the egg with salt so it was easier to pick up (who knew?), but even when it was completely off the ground, I was paranoid that I had missed some of it and that my dog would manage to find it (because he always does) and get sick.

I whisked the eggs with some fat-free evaporated milk (a swap for heavy cream as recommended by Weight Watchers), Parmesan cheese, prosciutto, and basil till it was combined. I then poured it into the pan with the potatoes and onions. I didn't notice that the recipe said to stir the mixture into the pan, so I then had to smooth it out to make it even and to make sure the eggs wasn't too thick in any given part.

Next, I turned the heat to medium-low and covered it for about two minutes. I then took the cover off and stuck it under the broiler for about four minutes.

Like I said before, I wasn't sure what to expect with this frittata. The basil stood out more than anything else to me (which is never a bad thing) as well as the potatoes. Surprisingly, the prosciutto just blended in (I usually have a nose for things related to ham) and so did the Parmesan cheese. It was good though, but probably not something I would order at a restaurant. It was also a little thinner than most frittatas since our big, huge frying pan is a little bigger and huger than the recipe needs.

I get to cook another sauce the next time I get a chance (probably not till next Saturday, sorry!). luckily I didn't set an exact deadline for this project, but fitting cooking in while home is actually harder to do! Check back then for more :)

P.S. I had a picture to post on here, but Blogger is being uncooperative at the moment, and my patience is wearing thin...

No comments:

Post a Comment