Wednesday, January 27, 2010

There Are No Absolutes in Life-Only Vodka...


I don't really know where that quote is from, but I know that it does relate to tonight's dish. I'll preface this entry by saying that I think I have found my new favorite thing to make. Yes, I have a lot of favorite things to make. But this dish is definitely in the top ten. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...Vodka Sauce!!

Seeing as I live on a dry campus, this was a covert operation that had to be conducted off campus. You may be thinking, "Brianne, you cook the alcohol out of this sauce and you hardly use any at all." You may also be noting that I've never actually disclosed what college campus I live on in any entry (however if you know me, then you would already know). All that being said, by the off chance that a college administrator looks at this blog and figures out who it is and where they are, I am not about to get kicked off campus for making sauce. End of story.

I always thought Vodka Sauce would be a long, complex process (don't ask me why. Delicious things always seem like they should be very time consuming). I was wrong. It all starts with some marinara sauce. Being the resourceful chef that I am, I froze some of the sauce I made earlier so it was already made and ready to go for this dish. You heat the marinara with some vodka for about 20 minutes to cook out the alcohol and reduce the mixture.

Note: Unless you want to taste death, DO NOT taste-test this sauce before it has reduced. I am speaking from experience.

After the reduction, you add some heavy cream or, my new favorite go-to item, fat-free evaporated milk. Once this has been heat through, you remove the pan from heat, stir in some Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper, and serve it over pasta. I chose the standard penne for mine.

I wasn't sure how the sauce would come out having not used heavy cream, but it didn't matter at all. The only thing that was missing was that terrible lethargic after-feeling from eating something so rich. When I first went on my healthy food kick, I feared I would never be able to eat a creamy sauce again without feeling guilty, but my nice little swap in this dish has proven that theory wrong!! I am in LOVE with my vodka sauce. In fact, I'm having leftovers tomorrow night.

Side note: according to Giada, vodka sauce is actually an Italian-American sauce. You will not find it in Italy!

I am officially cooked out for the week. I probably didn't make up all of the weeks I had taken off during my break, but I do feel as though I am back on track with this project. The next time I cook will probably be Sunday, so please check back then for more delicious eats!! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment