Monday, September 7, 2009

When Life Hands You Lemons...


...make Lemon Spaghetti! Or lemonade. But I promise that the former will be exponentially more delicious. Tonight was recipe number three out of Everyday Italian and if you haven't figured it out by now, it was Lemon Spaghetti. It is the first recipe from Chapter Three which is Everyday Pasta, Polenta, and Risotto (side note: I really like my approach to this book. It's nice to have each chapter introduced slowly, don't you think?). The first section of this chapter is once again, Fresh From the Pantry, so the recipes are fairly simple.

This recipe was incredibly simple and I highly suggest that you give it a try. That being said, I did make some modifications to it in order to make it a bit healthier (I'm sure Giada won't mind. She doesn't understand what it's like being over a size 2). The first thing the recipe asks you to do is make the sauce. It serves four, and calls for 2/3 cup of EVOO, 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup of lemon juice, and salt and pepper (though those are measured in almost all recipes, I usually just do it to taste). For those who don't know, I am a Weight Watchers point counter and have certain point values that I find acceptable for each meal. When I entered this one into the recipe builder, I decided that 14 points for a serving just wasn't going to fly with me. Therefore, I made some changes for my single serving dish.

First, instead of using that much EVOO, I used just one tablespoon. Since it called for the same amount of cheese, I also used just one tablespoon of that. I didn't actually measure out the lemon juice for it (it has a point value of zero as it is), but the recipe said either 1/2 cup or the fresh juice of two lemons. I bought one lemon and squeezed it to death and that was fine. You then whisk it all together.

Next, I cooked up one cup of angel hair pasta. The recipe calls for dried spaghetti, but that wasn't as readily available to me and I had a little over a cup of angel hair left in the box. I really don't think it matters, though I do love dried pasta. After cooking the pasta, you need to reserve one cup of the water if you're making the full 4 servings. Seeing as I only made one, I saved 1/4 cup.

Once the pasta was drained, I put it on a plate, added my water (I didn't even use the whole 1/4 cup. It's just to keep the pasta moist), then added the sauce. I also sprayed some fat-free olive oil spray on top of this just to give it more of the olive oil taste without the olive oil guilt. On top of that, you add some fresh chopped basil (or dried if you're on my budget) and some grated lemon zest (...or not. I don't have a grater and something tells me that trying to finely chop a lemon peel will NOT have the same effect).

Here is my explanation for the picture. Just as I was sitting down to take the picture and eat this delicious meal, my phone rang. It was Katie and she was at the door so I had to run downstairs to let her in. As we walked back to my room I started telling her a story and as we sat down in my room I began eating without thinking about the purpose of the meal. Just as I had about two bites left, I remembered that I hadn't taken a picture and I simply could NOT let this blog be posted without one (I like to have proof that this all actually happens). I quickly took one between bites and there you have it!

My next cooking day is Friday when I take on Grilled Shrimp (dun dun dun...). Let's hope this turns out better than the tuna. I'm sure I will have some updates in between cause a girl's gotta eat!

1 comment: